What is Agriculture ?
Agriculture is the cultivation of land and breeding of animals and plants to provide food, fiber, medicinal plants and other products to sustain and enhance life. Agriculture was the key development in the rise of sedentary human civilization, whereby farming of domesticated species created food surpluses that enabled people to live in cities. The study of agriculture is known as agricultural science.
What is Forestry ?
The Forestry major is a professional degree program and is the only one in Kentucky accredited by the Society of American Foresters. Forestry students are trained to grow, manage, and protect healthy forest ecosystems. Our forestry classes are designed to give students hands-on field experiences using the latest technology when learning about land management principles and practices. We also work with students who are interested in hands-on, experiential learning opportunities through internships and summer employment.
Why study Agriculture & Forestry ?
- Agriculture & Forestry covers the study of farming and environmental sciences like soil analysis and estate management.
- It is an increasingly modernised area of study, with climate change being at the fore of public debate.
- Agriculture & Forestry is a vital profession. Farming provides us with food, whether it be livestock or crops.
- Degrees like Soil Science are vital to fertility in farming both domestically and overseas in less developed countries. This degree benefits people all over the world by helping to create sustainable crops.
Agriculture & Forestry
- BSc Agricultural Business Management
- BSc Agriculture & Crop Science
- BSc Agriculture & Countryside Management
- BSc Forestry
Reasons to study an Agriculture & Forestry
It may not be an obvious choice for your undergraduate degree, but without people working within the Agriculture & Forestry sector, the world would fall apart. Farming and forestry are ancient practices that have kept people alive for thousands of years, and with today’s technology it is a diverse and invigorating area to be involved in. If you are considering a degree but not quite convinced yet, have a look at our reasons why you should:
1. Help the world’s population
The Agriculture & Forestry industry and its success is vital for the well-being of the people of the world – specifically those in poverty-stricken areas. If your dream is to help alleviate world hunger, then a degree in this sector is a great start. It is also an excellent platform to help create work opportunities for the rural poor in less economically developed countries.
2. Help the environment
Similarly, without individuals working in Agriculture & Forestry, preventing the environment from falling out of shape would be a struggle. Individuals who work in conservation and sustainability are essential!
3. Combine several different academic areas
Whether you are interested in the scientific side, or conversely the active and practical, there is something to suit many different types of learners. The Agriculture & Forestry industries need it all, from logical statistics interpreters, to people physically planting crops or taking measurements in the field.
4. Postgraduate opportunities are fruitful
The amount of specialisations postgraduates can choose during study is substantial. From coastal change to natural resource economics, the list goes on and on.
5. Jobs are abundantly available
The range of different professions required for the positive development of Agriculture & Forestry around the globe is vast and dynamic. A career can go down a multitude of different routes, from business management, farming journalism, data analysing, agricultural sales and marketing, environmental conservation, public recreation, social research and many, many more.
6. Chance to work in a wide range of environments
Whether you work on the other side of the world or stay in the UK, a job within the Agriculture & Forestry sector allows your office to be indoors, outdoors, or a mixture of both. From practical work to working with data on a computer, the options are countless!